Development Handbook Changelog
This page will contain a list of most of the changes made to the ServiceNow Development Handbook.
Since my goal was never to make money directly from the sales of this book (if it were, I'd have picked a wider niche!), I've decided to publish content updates directly within the same edition. This means that rather than asking everyone to pay for a second edition in a couple of months when there is a new platform version to worry about or when the standards are updated, I'll simply keep this edition up-to-date, and make those updates available for free.
If you purchased the a digital edition such as on Kindle, your content should be available for update automatically.
In order to ensure that you have the latest version, or to push the latest update to your Kindle or mobile device, click here then look for the Update Available button (as you can see on the right). Click that button to update the digital copy of the book on your device for free.
If you purchased a paperback version rather than a digital version through Amazon, you can buy the Kindle edition for only $2 or $3. You can then just look up the specific changes you might be interested in, by referencing the changelog below.
You are of course also welcome to buy another paperback copy if you have another few bucks to spare, but I've set it up this way in order to make it as easy and cheap as possible for you to get the updates after you've bought the book.
Version 2.0 - 8/20/18
- Major updates to the Performance > Query Efficiency > Nested queries and Single-record queries sections
- Added a lot of new code snippets and examples of the right and wrong ways to do queries.
- Expanded most chapters slightly to add and clarify information
- Updated a lot of sections with info on new versions of ServiceNow (Kingston and London)
- Added Multi-operation section as a sub-section of Performance
- Added Business Rules & .update() section to Coding Guidelines chapter
- Added Security chapter and several sub-sections
- Added Service Portal chapter and several sub-sections
- Added Reference fields section to the Tables & Columns chapter.
- Added Performance > Query efficiency > Query specificity section and re-wrote some other content in the Performance section for clarity and better examples.
- Updated Coding Guidelines > Getting and setting field values section with more information on working with journal fields.
- Added Testing > Logging section with information about logging in global, and other scopes, as well as the different behaviors of the various logging APIs, logging best-practices, and more.
- Fixed various formatting bugs, code-block display issues, grammatical/spelling issues, and updated a lot of existing content for clarity, brevity, or humor.
- Loads more - too much to list!
- Expect this to be the "current" version for a good while. ;-)
Version 1.4 - 2/17/18
- Added Update Sets and Performance chapters.
- These chapters cover things like query efficiency, nested queries, query order, table and list performance tips, update set batching guidelines, master update set tips, information about what is and isn't tracked in update sets, and working with scoped records.
- Moved some sub-chapters around as they fit more neatly into some of the new chapters. Especially took several sections from Coding guidelines, as that section had become quite long.
- Added a note to the beginning of the book to indicate the version number and information about how to find this change-log.
- Minor spelling and grammatical corrections
- Minor text changes to improve clarity
Version 1.3 - 2/12/18
- Made chapter subtitles and quotes 23.8% funnier.
- Minor and moderate spelling, grammatical, and clarity updates.
- Improved spacing between sections, paragraphs, and pages.
- Fixed some spacing and indentation errors in code snippets, especially in the earlier sections.
- Updated paperback cover to resolve a copy/pasted spelling error on the back cover.
Version 1.1 - 2/9/18
- Added Testing chapter, including about 80% new content and 20% content previously from other areas of the book.
- Updated paperback and Kindle edition covers
- Lots of spelling and grammar fixes. Mostly very minor, but I'm a pedant. Special thanks to my editors for their help!
Version 1.0 - 2/7/18
- Initial launch on Kindle!
- Paperback launched 2/10/18
- Nov 6, 2018 ServiceNow & ITSM as a Career? Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 19, 2018 Asynchronous onSubmit Catalog/Client Scripts in ServiceNow Oct 19, 2018
- Oct 11, 2018 How to do Massive, Slow Database Operations Efficiently With Event-Driven Recursion Oct 11, 2018
- Sep 18, 2018 Broken Queries & Query Business Rules in ServiceNow Sep 18, 2018
- Sep 7, 2018 JournalRedactor - Easily Redact or Delete Journal Entries in ServiceNow! Sep 7, 2018
- Jul 23, 2018 Admin Duty Separation with a Single Account Jul 23, 2018
- Jun 19, 2018 Improving Performance on Older Instances with Table Rotation Jun 19, 2018
- Jun 4, 2018 New Free Tool: Login Link Generator Jun 4, 2018
- May 29, 2018 Learning ServiceNow: Second Edition! May 29, 2018
- Apr 17, 2018 Upgrading From Express to Enterprise: What's Missing Apr 17, 2018
- Apr 12, 2018 If a Genie Gave Me Three Wishes, I'd Use Them All to "Fix" Scope Apr 12, 2018
- Mar 19, 2018 Service Catalog "Try in Portal" button Mar 19, 2018
- Mar 15, 2018 Video: Custom Output Transition Conditions From a Single Workflow (Script) Activity Mar 15, 2018
- Feb 11, 2018 We have a new book! Feb 11, 2018
- Nov 6, 2017 Requiring Attachments (& Other Miracles) in Service Portal Nov 6, 2017
- Sep 12, 2017 Handling TimeZones in ServiceNow (TimeZoneUtil) Sep 12, 2017
- Jul 27, 2017 How to Enable DOM Manipulation in ServiceNow Service Portal Catalog Client Scripts Jul 27, 2017
- June 2017
- May 9, 2017 Work at Lightspeed: ServiceNow's Plan for World Domination May 9, 2017
- Apr 9, 2017 Avoiding Pass-By-Reference Using getValue() & setValue() Apr 9, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 "Learning ServiceNow" is Now Available for Purchase! Apr 4, 2017
- Mar 12, 2017 reCAPTCHA in ServiceNow CMS/Service Portal Mar 12, 2017
- Dec 20, 2016 Pro Tip: Use updateMultiple() for Maximum Efficiency! Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 2, 2016 We're Writing a Book! Dec 2, 2016
- Nov 10, 2016 Chrome Extension: Load in ServiceNow Frame Nov 10, 2016
- Sep 7, 2016 Force-Include Any Record Into an Update Set Sep 7, 2016
- Sep 1, 2016 GlideRecord Pagination - Page through your GlideRecord query Sep 1, 2016
- Jul 17, 2016 Granting Temporary Roles/Groups in ServiceNow Jul 17, 2016
- Jul 15, 2016 ServiceNow Scripted REST APIs & Retrieving Catalog Item Variables Jul 15, 2016
- May 17, 2016 What's New in Helsinki? May 17, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 Customizing UI16 Through CSS and System Properties Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 5, 2016 ServiceNow Versions: Express Vs. Enterprise Apr 5, 2016
- March 2016
- Feb 25, 2016 Understanding Attachments in ServiceNow Feb 25, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 Reference Field Auto-Complete Attributes Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 6, 2016 GlideRecord & GlideAjax: Client-Side Vs. Server-Side Feb 6, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 Make Your Log Entries Easier to Find Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 29, 2016 A Better, One-Click Approval Jan 29, 2016
- Jan 25, 2016 Quickly Move Changes Between Update Sets Jan 25, 2016
- Jan 20, 2016 Customize the Reference Icon Pop-up Jan 20, 2016
- Jan 7, 2016 ServiceNow: Geneva & UI16 - What's new Jan 7, 2016
- Jan 4, 2016 Detect/Prevent Update Set Conflicts Before They Happen Jan 4, 2016
- Dec 28, 2015 SN101: Boolean logic and ServiceNow's Condition Builder Dec 28, 2015
- Dec 17, 2015 Locate any record in any table, by sys_id in ServiceNow Dec 17, 2015
- Dec 16, 2015 Detecting Duplicate Records with GlideAggregate Dec 16, 2015
- Dec 11, 2015 Array.indexOf() not working in ServiceNow - Solution! Dec 11, 2015
- Dec 2, 2015 Understanding Dynamic Filters & Checking a Record Against a Filter Using GlideFilter Dec 2, 2015
- Oct 20, 2015 Bookmarklet: Load the current page in the ServiceNow frame Oct 20, 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Easily Clone One User's Access to Another User Aug 27, 2015