While most of the records in ServiceNow that you might want to track in an update set are already tracked, due to a dictionary attribute called update_synch, you might just be surprised at how many types of records are not tracked in update sets! For example, scheduled jobs and scheduled script executions are not tracked in update sets, so you either need a tool like this, or you'll need to move these records over manually! Skip to the bottom of this article for a link to the download page.
Since manual work is for Peons from Warcraft III and not for developers, let's build a better solution while we laugh at the mere mortals that export-then-import their records as XML.
Note: This is a tool meant to help developers, and is really just meant to be installed into your development instance(s).
What we've built is a UI action named Include in Update Set that allows you to force a record (whatever record you're currently on) into an update set.
However, rather than requiring you to add a separate UI action for each and every table that we might want to have this functionality on, we've instead done the opposite - made a Global UI action, and restricted it from appearing on certain tables (such as incident, problem, change, and other common tables that you'd virtually never want to capture in an update set). This means that if you see the Include in Update Set link, then you can know that looking at a record that wouldn't be captured in an update set, which is certainly useful information for a developer!
We've also given admins the ability to restrict or allow the button to show on any table they choose using the Include in Update Set Properties module, under the System Update Sets application header.
In addition to the form link UI action, we've also added list choice UI actions, so you can select multiple records from a list and dump them all into an update set.
We've also added some error checking and handling, and the ability to turn the whole application on or off easily using a system property. You can see our source code in the application file, as it's not protected and is available in the Global scope.
If you'd like to know more, or download and deploy this application in your instance, you can click here or navigate to Tools -> Include in Update Set Tool from the navigation bar at the top of this page.
Like our content? Check out some of our other informative articles below!
- April 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 27, 2019 Making Update Sets Smarter - Free Tool
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- Jul 23, 2018 Admin Duty Separation with a Single Account
- Jun 19, 2018 Improving Performance on Older Instances with Table Rotation
- Jun 4, 2018 New Free Tool: Login Link Generator
- May 29, 2018 Learning ServiceNow: Second Edition!
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 11, 2018 We have a new book!
- November 2017
- Sep 12, 2017 Handling TimeZones in ServiceNow (TimeZoneUtil)
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- Mar 12, 2017 reCAPTCHA in ServiceNow CMS/Service Portal
- Dec 20, 2016 Pro Tip: Use updateMultiple() for Maximum Efficiency!
- Dec 2, 2016 We're Writing a Book!
- Nov 10, 2016 Chrome Extension: Load in ServiceNow Frame
- September 2016
- Jul 17, 2016 Granting Temporary Roles/Groups in ServiceNow
- Jul 15, 2016 Scripted REST APIs & Retrieving RITM Variables via SRAPI
- May 17, 2016 What's New in Helsinki?
- Apr 27, 2016 Customizing UI16 Through CSS and System Properties
- Apr 5, 2016 ServiceNow Versions: Express Vs. Enterprise
- March 2016
- Feb 25, 2016 Understanding Attachments in ServiceNow
- Feb 22, 2016 Reference Field Auto-Complete Attributes
- Feb 6, 2016 GlideRecord & GlideAjax: Client-Side Vs. Server-Side
- Feb 1, 2016 Make Your Log Entries Easier to Find
- Jan 29, 2016 A Better, One-Click Approval
- Jan 25, 2016 Quickly Move Changes Between Update Sets
- Jan 20, 2016 Customize the Reference Icon Pop-up
- Jan 7, 2016 ServiceNow: Geneva & UI16 - What's new
- Jan 4, 2016 Detect/Prevent Update Set Conflicts Before They Happen
- Dec 28, 2015 SN101: Boolean logic and ServiceNow's Condition Builder
- Dec 17, 2015 Locate any record in any table, by sys_id in ServiceNow
- Dec 16, 2015 Detecting Duplicate Records with GlideAggregate
- Dec 11, 2015 Array.indexOf() not working in ServiceNow - Solution!
- Dec 2, 2015 Understanding Dynamic Filters & Checking a Record Against a Filter Using GlideFilter
- October 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Easily Clone One User's Access to Another User