If you're anything like me, you're tired of logging in to instances manually, wondering if you've typed your password wrong or if it's expired or been changes, and having to manage dozens of logins - one for each account on each instance owned by each client!
Password managers are fantastic (I use LastPass, myself) but I find that when a password expires or is changed, they always have difficulty telling which client and which instance the login is for -- they treat all logins as accounts for "service-now.com" rather than the sub-domain. And what's worse, they tend to try and auto-fill the "password" fields in user profiles, in the sys_user table! That's no good.
One option for getting around this issue, is to use a custom login link. This makes logging in as easy as clicking a bookmark, and eliminates the extra step of being redirected to the login page before getting to the content you were looking for.
As you can see from the demo on the right, all you need to do is enter your instance name (usually your company's name, 'companynamedev', or 'companynameqa' - you can create a separate login link for each instance), then choose the link text. This will be the text associated with the bookmark you'll be creating.
Finally, enter your instance username and password.
Optionally, you can click encode once on the username and/or password fields, to hex-encode the values, making it more difficult for someone to get your password by somehow getting a peek at the source URL of your login bookmark. Just don’t confuse “encoding” for “encryption”. If anyone else gets this link, they’ll be able to log in as you.
After filling out all the fields, click Submit, and the link will be shown just below the form. Once that link shows up, simple click-and-drag it to your bookmarks, bookmarks toolbar, or into a bookmarks toolbar folder, so you can arrange them by client in case you work with multiple clients.
The free ServiceNow Login Link Generator can be found at that link, or by going to Tools -> Login Link Generator at the top of this page.
Did you enjoy this article? Check out some of our other posts below!
- Apr 21, 2019 Understanding Attachments in ServiceNow
- Apr 10, 2019 Using Custom Search Engines in Chrome to Quickly Navigate ServiceNow
- Apr 4, 2019 Set Catalog Variables from URL Params (Free tool)
- Apr 1, 2019 Outlook for Android Breaks Email Approvals (+Solution)
- March 2019
- Feb 27, 2019 Making Update Sets Smarter - Free Tool
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- Jul 23, 2018 Admin Duty Separation with a Single Account
- Jun 19, 2018 Improving Performance on Older Instances with Table Rotation
- Jun 4, 2018 New Free Tool: Login Link Generator
- May 29, 2018 Learning ServiceNow: Second Edition!
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 11, 2018 We have a new book!
- November 2017
- Sep 12, 2017 Handling TimeZones in ServiceNow (TimeZoneUtil)
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- Mar 12, 2017 reCAPTCHA in ServiceNow CMS/Service Portal
- Dec 20, 2016 Pro Tip: Use updateMultiple() for Maximum Efficiency!
- Dec 2, 2016 We're Writing a Book!
- Nov 10, 2016 Chrome Extension: Load in ServiceNow Frame
- September 2016
- Jul 17, 2016 Granting Temporary Roles/Groups in ServiceNow
- Jul 15, 2016 Scripted REST APIs & Retrieving RITM Variables via SRAPI
- May 17, 2016 What's New in Helsinki?
- Apr 27, 2016 Customizing UI16 Through CSS and System Properties
- Apr 5, 2016 ServiceNow Versions: Express Vs. Enterprise
- March 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 Reference Field Auto-Complete Attributes
- Feb 6, 2016 GlideRecord & GlideAjax: Client-Side Vs. Server-Side
- Feb 1, 2016 Make Your Log Entries Easier to Find
- Jan 29, 2016 A Better, One-Click Approval
- Jan 25, 2016 Quickly Move Changes Between Update Sets
- Jan 20, 2016 Customize the Reference Icon Pop-up
- Jan 7, 2016 ServiceNow: Geneva & UI16 - What's new
- Jan 4, 2016 Detect/Prevent Update Set Conflicts Before They Happen
- Dec 28, 2015 SN101: Boolean logic and ServiceNow's Condition Builder
- Dec 17, 2015 Locate any record in any table, by sys_id in ServiceNow
- Dec 16, 2015 Detecting Duplicate Records with GlideAggregate
- Dec 11, 2015 Array.indexOf() not working in ServiceNow - Solution!
- Dec 2, 2015 Understanding Dynamic Filters & Checking a Record Against a Filter Using GlideFilter
- October 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Easily Clone One User's Access to Another User