How often have you wanted to do something like look up a record in a table by sys_id, look up a user by user_name, or jump straight to a table in ServiceNow just so you can run a query on it, but found yourself having to wait for the entire table to load, or having to navigate through several pages, waiting for each to load before you can get to the next?
For me, the answer is “multiple times, every single day”.
To that end, I’ve made this video on how to use custom Google Chrome search engines to make this process incredibly simple! Below the video, you’ll find some examples of useful “custom search engines” I’ve used in Chrome.
Example custom search engines
Jump to a table (filter only) with the keyword table:
Search the Users table by user_name (Replace STARTSWITH with LIKE to do a “contains” query by default instead):
This is especially helpful for identifying users from the user names you might find in fields like sys_created_by or sys_updated_by.
Pro-tip: Create separate custom search engines for environments you use often! For example, try the keyword “devtable” instead of “table” to do the same query in your dev environment!
If you’ve got any useful custom search engines of your own, feel free to leave them in the comments below this post!
This Pro-tip was adapted from a post by Ian Brown on Reddit. Thanks for the pro-tip, Ian!
- April 2019
- March 2019
- Feb 27, 2019 Making Update Sets Smarter - Free Tool
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- Jul 23, 2018 Admin Duty Separation with a Single Account
- Jun 19, 2018 Improving Performance on Older Instances with Table Rotation
- Jun 4, 2018 New Free Tool: Login Link Generator
- May 29, 2018 Learning ServiceNow: Second Edition!
- April 2018
- March 2018
- Feb 11, 2018 We have a new book!
- November 2017
- Sep 12, 2017 Handling TimeZones in ServiceNow (TimeZoneUtil)
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- Mar 12, 2017 reCAPTCHA in ServiceNow CMS/Service Portal
- Dec 20, 2016 Pro Tip: Use updateMultiple() for Maximum Efficiency!
- Dec 2, 2016 We're Writing a Book!
- Nov 10, 2016 Chrome Extension: Load in ServiceNow Frame
- September 2016
- Jul 17, 2016 Granting Temporary Roles/Groups in ServiceNow
- Jul 15, 2016 Scripted REST APIs & Retrieving RITM Variables via SRAPI
- May 17, 2016 What's New in Helsinki?
- Apr 27, 2016 Customizing UI16 Through CSS and System Properties
- Apr 5, 2016 ServiceNow Versions: Express Vs. Enterprise
- March 2016
- Feb 25, 2016 Understanding Attachments in ServiceNow
- Feb 22, 2016 Reference Field Auto-Complete Attributes
- Feb 6, 2016 GlideRecord & GlideAjax: Client-Side Vs. Server-Side
- Feb 1, 2016 Make Your Log Entries Easier to Find
- Jan 29, 2016 A Better, One-Click Approval
- Jan 25, 2016 Quickly Move Changes Between Update Sets
- Jan 20, 2016 Customize the Reference Icon Pop-up
- Jan 7, 2016 ServiceNow: Geneva & UI16 - What's new
- Jan 4, 2016 Detect/Prevent Update Set Conflicts Before They Happen
- Dec 28, 2015 SN101: Boolean logic and ServiceNow's Condition Builder
- Dec 17, 2015 Locate any record in any table, by sys_id in ServiceNow
- Dec 16, 2015 Detecting Duplicate Records with GlideAggregate
- Dec 11, 2015 Array.indexOf() not working in ServiceNow - Solution!
- Dec 2, 2015 Understanding Dynamic Filters & Checking a Record Against a Filter Using GlideFilter
- October 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Easily Clone One User's Access to Another User